Found Photo

March 20, 2008


Found on the floor in the book section at Goodwill. The date stamp on the back appears to be Aug. 14, 1994.

Head Props

January 16, 2008


So much for my dream of having the first website devoted to comic foregrounds (which, as I found out when I made this post, is the name for these things). Angelica at Swapatorium has a delightful album of them here – she calls them “head props.” Angelica collects vintage photos (and other stuff) and is an amazing collage artist. Swapatorium (“a journey through junkland”) has been sending traffic this way for some time now and it’s about time I returned the favour.


What’s it called?

April 11, 2007

wedding couple

A while back I bought a bag of family photos for a buck – about three dozen in all. One of the reasons I bought this fairly unremarkable collection is the picture above. You see, for a long time I’ve been toying with the idea of making a website that would feature photos like this one – of people sticking their heads through holes in boards with comic scenes painted on them. I think that these things used to be a lot more common than they are now, before Photoshop put comic head-grafting technology within the reach of so many. But they’re still out there. Here’s my friend Gary in the town of Vulcan, Alberta:

Vulcan, Alberta

On my website, people would submit their photos to be posted in galleries which could be organized by location or maybe by theme. If I were to make such a site (and I still may) I think it might be the first one – certainly I’ve never seen one before. But how do you even search for these things? What are they called? Is there a word or simple phrase for these devices? If there isn’t, there should be, ‘cuz they’re hard to describe: “You know, those things you stick your head through and someone takes your picture and it looks like you have the body of muscleman or a really stacked babe…”

So if you can think of a good, concise term for these things, let me know.