What’s it called?

April 11, 2007

wedding couple

A while back I bought a bag of family photos for a buck – about three dozen in all. One of the reasons I bought this fairly unremarkable collection is the picture above. You see, for a long time I’ve been toying with the idea of making a website that would feature photos like this one – of people sticking their heads through holes in boards with comic scenes painted on them. I think that these things used to be a lot more common than they are now, before Photoshop put comic head-grafting technology within the reach of so many. But they’re still out there. Here’s my friend Gary in the town of Vulcan, Alberta:

Vulcan, Alberta

On my website, people would submit their photos to be posted in galleries which could be organized by location or maybe by theme. If I were to make such a site (and I still may) I think it might be the first one – certainly I’ve never seen one before. But how do you even search for these things? What are they called? Is there a word or simple phrase for these devices? If there isn’t, there should be, ‘cuz they’re hard to describe: “You know, those things you stick your head through and someone takes your picture and it looks like you have the body of muscleman or a really stacked babe…”

So if you can think of a good, concise term for these things, let me know.


2 Responses to “What’s it called?”

  1. marlena Says:

    I believe you will be thrilled to know that the inventor of “Comic Foregrounds” was Cassius Marcellus Coolidge, the same man who painted the “Dogs Playing Poker” series. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassius_Marcellus_Coolidge

  2. […] dream of having the first website devoted to comic backgrounds (which, as I found out when I made this post, is the name for these things). Angelica at Swapatorium has a delightful album of them here – she […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: